Maintaining a lush, weed-free Bermuda grass lawn is no small feat, and one of the most effective ways to achieve this is through the use of pre-emergent herbicides. These products are designed to nip the weed problem in the bud, preventing weed seeds from germinating in the first place. In this guide, we’ll delve into the top pre-emergent options for Bermuda grass, including Barricade, Dimension, Pendimethalin, and Specticle Flo. We’ll also discuss special considerations if you plan to overseed with ryegrass.
The Essentials of Pre-Emergents
What Are Pre-Emergents?
Pre-emergent herbicides work by creating a chemical barrier in the soil that prevents weed seeds from sprouting. This preemptive action keeps your lawn looking its best.
Top Choices for Bermuda Grass
- Barricade (Prodiamine): Known for its long-lasting control and effectiveness against a wide range of weeds.
- Dimension (Dithiopyr): Excellent for not just preventing weeds but also for controlling early-stage crabgrass.
- Pendimethalin: Particularly effective against annual grasses and certain broadleaf weeds.
- Specticle Flo: Renowned for its long residual control and broad-spectrum weed prevention (oh – and it does great on poa).
- Wash-In Requirement: Pre-emergents need to be washed into the soil to activate. Therefore, they should only be applied with other products that also require washing in.
- Granular vs. Sprayable: These herbicides come in both granular and sprayable forms. The choice often depends on your application equipment and personal preference.
Special Considerations for Overseeding with Ryegrass
If you’re planning to overseed your Bermuda grass lawn with ryegrass for winter color, timing is crucial when applying pre-emergents. These herbicides can also prevent the ryegrass seeds from germinating, so you’ll need to carefully plan your application schedule.
- Timing: Apply the pre-emergent at least 6-8 weeks before you plan to overseed.
- Product Choice: Some pre-emergents are less inhibitory to ryegrass than others. Check the label for compatibility before application.
Pre-emergent herbicides are a powerful tool in maintaining a pristine Bermuda grass lawn. Whether you opt for Barricade, Dimension, Pendimethalin, or Specticle Flo, remember that these products need to be washed into the soil to be effective. And if you’re considering overseeding with ryegrass, make sure to time your pre-emergent application carefully to avoid inhibiting the ryegrass seed germination. With these tips in hand, you’re well on your way to a weed-free, beautiful lawn.